Let’s try this format again. Since my birthday is coming up, I might reserve this format for birthday retrospectives, and the usual one for new years. We’ll see.
Now playing: Вася Обломов - Еду в Магадан
1) Was 2018 a good year for you?
It was an excellent year by all means.
was your favourite moment are your strongest memories of this year?
Most probably the 35C3. The Chaos Computer Congress is stereotypically the highlight of my year, but this time it was something completely different from the usual. I had more balance and energy to enjoy it on a deeper level than before. For a couple of days I got back my former legendary ability to live on 2h of sleep a day, and did not suffer any repercussions for this.
Though this year many more really awesome things happened.
My internship in Israel (me riding a camel in the desert). The trip to Kassel/Düsseldorf/Köln/… (strong on so many levels). My first German wedding. The trip to Carpathians. The trip to Italy. The actual New Year (in the metro). TODO Pictures!
3) What was your least favourite moment of the year?
Hard to say, I don’t remember anything in particular. Which I’d guess is good.
4) Where were you when 2018 began? Who were you with?
House of R. in Ukrainka. I was with everyone who usually spends New Years there.
5) Where were you when 2018 ended? Who were you with?
Park near M.Universytet with M., M., O., A. We spent the New Year in a number of different houses through the night, coming, drinking, giving gifts, drinking, receiving gifts, drinking, and leaving to the next house. It was probably the best New Year’s Eve I’ve ever had.
6) Did you keep your new years resolution of 2018?
The last Meme of this format the new years resolutions were “unitasking and minimalism”, which did not follow the recommended format for goals (S.M.A.R.T goal setting and stuff). But subjectively I’d say I mostly did.
7) Do you have a new years resolution for 2018?
- Read for enjoyment, at least 60 pages a week.
Sport at least 1x a week, optimally 2-3 times a week. Meditate once a day.
- Find a job.
- Substantially deepen my knowledge and understanding of math, statistics, and ML.
Get my Python on a level where I can say “I know Python”, and have finished projects to show for this.
- Put my first $200 in some index fund.
Learn to deal with money much better.
- Learn to keep in touch with people.
8) Did you make any new friends in 2018?
Yes. Most of them left though.
9) Did you travel outside of Ukraine and Germany in 2018?
Israel! Also Italy.
10) How many different oblasts did you travel to in 2018?
Less than last year. I had a wonderful trip through Germany: Köln, Düsseldorf, Kassel. It was .. just wow.
11) Did you lose anybody close to you in 2018?
12) What was your favorite book you read in 2018?
“Deep work” by Cal Newport, most probably.
14) What are your strongest recommendations for entertainment from this year?
None, but 2019 should be more interesting in this regard.
13) What was your favourite movie that you saw in 2018?
I don’t remember watching any, though this doesn’t mean there weren’t any.
What was your favorite music that you heard in What song will always remind you of 2018?
I was wholly obsessed with Il ballo di San Vito di Vinicio Capossela. Also Leningrad Cowboys and some songs by Dr.Dre.
16) Did you drink a lot of alcohol in 2018?
Very little, and not often. 2018 was probably the year where I finally understood that I don’t need it in any way, shape or form in my life. I won’t go out of my way to avoid it, but it just won’t be on my radar. It’s just not worth it. Maybe I’m getting old.
17) Did you do a lot of drugs in 2018?
18) How many people did you date in 2018?
19) Did you do anything you are ashamed of this year?
I disappeared much less often this year, which is good. Not too many things which I feel bad about.
20) What was the biggest lie you told in 2018?
Nothing I can immediately recall.
21) What was the worst lie someone told you in 2018?
Something about taking their medicines when in fact they were not taking them.
22) Did you treat somebody badly in 2018?
Very hard to remember.
23) Did somebody treat you badly in 2018?
Also no. I seem to have a talent to hang out with the right people, just as I wrote last year.
24) How much money did you spend in 2018?
Definitely much more than needed. This is why in 2019 I’m starting budgeting my expenses.
25) What was your most embarrassing moment of 2018?
Last year I wrote about going to extreme lengths to avoid people – I’m pleased to say that this part became much better. I’m not quite sure about what to write here then though.
26) If you could go back in time and change one thing in 2018, what would it be?
Spend more time with my family and the people I actually care about. This will also change a lot this year.
27) What are your plans for 2019?
Few things changed.
- Sleep well.
- In bed by 2230, no phone after 2300, eyes closed by 0000 max.
- At least 8h of sleep.
- Wake up and stand up by 8.
- Eat well
- Avoid sugar.
- Avoid red meat and pork, in this order. Leave chicken and turkey in my diet for now, they are awesome.
- Everything else balanced.
- Gym at least 1x per week.
- Jogging at least 1x per week.
- Meditation every day, at least 10 minutes, try to get it to 30. Read some basic Buddhist texts, I should still have a lot of them on my computer. Basically get into Buddhism and stick with it.
- Concentration and unitasking.
- Python – in the deepest possible way. Relearn basics of Algorithms.
- And have finished projects to show for it!
- Machine learning and statistics – my main focus for the year.
- At least three live working websites, with at least one monetized.
Life in general:
- Sleep and sport and meditation are holy. Art for the sake of art is also holy.
- Minimalism and uncluttering in as many areas of my life as I can manage.
- As much unitasking as possible.
- When you rest, REST and do nothing else.
- More time with my (extended) family. Record stuff on video more than I do.
Draw and develop my creativity more.
28) What did you do in 2018 that you’d never done before?
- Rode a camel!
- Had a serious 9-to-5 job!
- Earned my own official money!
- Finished a Telegram bot and got paid for it! And finished a number of semi-serious programming projects!
29) Did anyone close to you give birth?
30) What would you like to have in 2019 that you lacked in 2018?
Time with my family. Depends just on me though. Also feeling of being competent at something.
31) What date from 2018 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
19 September – the date I left Israel. Nothing about it that’s so special (except the end of a very interesting time), but it’s the only date I actually remember.
32) What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I deleted an old VK account with a lot of history attached to it. In general I finally closed a number of things related to a very strange period of my life. Now I feel free.
33) What was your biggest failure?
On a certain level I could have used my time in Israel much better. I need to learn to actually keep in touch with people.
34) What was your most enjoyable purchase this year?
TODO. Hard to say.
35) Whose behaviour merited celebration and whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
36) Compared to last year, how are you different and how are you the same?
Hmm. I am definitely able to concentrate much better, much more driven, much more balanced, much more in touch with my emotions and needs – I think I have to thank sport and meditation for this. I have much more hope for the future, and am actually looking forward to it – I guess I have to thank M. for this. I feel I have a better memory (insofar that to remember things you have to be consciously aware of this – but I’m trying to improve this too) and I sleep better. From a mental health standpoint, I feel I’m at the best I’ve ever been, and I’m not the only one who notices this.
I would guess I’m the same in most other aspects.
37) Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? Much happier
ii. thinner or fatter? About the same, but I’m planning to become fatter! Goal is 65kg till the end of the year.
iii. richer or poorer? Same
38) What do you wish you’d done more of?
Reading for enjoyment and resting with out guilt.
39) What do you wish you’d done less of?
Spent time in bed with my phone. (2)
40) How did you spend Christmas?
In Leipzig with R., and that was really nice.
41) What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 22. I decluttered my room and gave away half of my things, and that has been the best birthday I had. I plan to repeat it this year. Getting rid of things feels awesome.
42) What was your personal fashion concept in 2018?
Got a number of nice long coats, which will become a staple clothing (ha) I think. Black and dark blue, less items and a bit more expensive items. Plan to keep it that way.
43) What kept you sane?
Feeling of competence, purpose, rhythm, transcendence.
44) Which celebrity figure impressed you the most?
none at all
45) What news story do you remember most from 2018?
None at all.
46) What’s a life lesson you learned in 2018?
Trust myself and my judgement a bit more.
47) Quote a song lyric or poem.
Terra arsa e rossa
Terra di sud, terra di sud
Terra di confine
Terra di dove finisce la terra
E il continente se ne infischia
E non il vento
E il continente se ne infischia e non il vento
Mustafà viene di Affrica
E qui soffia il vento d’Affrica
E ci dice “tenetemi fermo”
E ci dice “tenetemi fermo”
Ho il ballo di San Vito e non mi passa
Ho il ballo di San Vito e non mi passa