3412 words, ~13 min read
My keyboard setup has always been weird, and usually glued together with multiple programs. Some time ago I decided to re-do it from scratch and this led to some BIG improvements and simplifications I’m really happy about, and want to describe here.
Context: I regularly type in English, German, Russian, Ukrainian, and write a lot of Python code. I use vim, qutebrowser, tiling WMs and my workflows are very keyboard-centric.
TL;DR: This describes my current custom keyboard layout that has:
- only two sub-layouts (latin/cyrillic)
- the Caps Lock LED indicating the active one
- Caps Lock acting both as Ctrl and Escape
- things like arrow keys, backspace accessible without moving the right hand
- Python characters moved closer to the main row
It looks like this1:
and is available on Github.